“ARCADIA” complex is situated in the most popular Bulgarian sea resort Su...

"ARCADIA" complex - interior

       The apartments available for re...


Administrative life is concentrated in the new part of Nessebar. The popu...

Apartments Prices Map Contacts Sightseeing Attractions


Administrative life is concentrated in the new part of Nessebar. The population of the town is about 11 500 inhabitants. This part of the town is characterized by its modern architecture. There are lots of new hotels, guest houses, restaurants and pubs. Wide beaches with natural sand dunes are situated in the north and south part of the town. You can enjoy yacht or boat trips, fishing, water sports and etc. The South park is famous with four ancient tombs from 4th- 3th century BC which were discovered and exhibited.
The old town of Nessebar is a historic treasury of Bulgaria. It has millennial– old remarkable history. Situated on a romantic rocky peninsula, it wonders the thousands of tourists with its splendid location. The town is connected to the mainland via a narrow isthmus.
Valuable monuments of its long existence are preserved: remains of fortress walls from Roman times. You can visit old Byzantine and Bulgarian churches and numerous antique houses from 18 th and 19th century.
In 1956 it was declared was museum city – archaeological and architectural reservation. A Thracian settlement known as Menebria founded in the 2nd millennium BC, the town became a Greek colony when settled by Dorians from Megara at the beginning of the 6th century BC.  Remains from the Hellenistic period include the acropolis, a temple of Apollo, and an agora. A wall which formed part of the Greek fortifications can still be seen on the north side of the peninsula. Bronze and silver coins were minted in the city since the 5th century BC and gold coins since the 3rd century BC.
Monuments from the Middle Ages include the 5-6th century Stara Mitropoliya ("old bishopric"; also St Sophia), a basilica without a transept; the 10th century church of the Virgin; and the 11th century Nova Mitropoliya ("new bishopric"; also St Stephen) which continued to be embellished until the 18th century. In the 13th and 14th century a remarkable series of churches were built: St Theodore, St Michael and St Gabriel,  St Paraskeva and St John Aliturgetos.
The Slavic version of the name Nesebar has been attested since the 11th century.

The capture of the town by the Turks from the Byzantine Empire in 1453 marked the start of its decline, but its architectural heritage remained and was enriched in the 19th century by the construction of wooden houses in the Eastern Rumelian style typical for the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast during this period. After the Liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule in 1878, Nesebar became part of the autonomous Ottoman province of Eastern Rumelia until it united with the Principality of Bulgaria in 1886.
Now you can see the narrow cobble streets and to buy a souvenir from the little shops offering hand crafted pottery, jewelry, pictures, leather article and many other stuff.
Nowadays the old part of the town is an attractive place for romantic walks.